ROCKFORD,Ill. — The Fabricators & Manufacturers Association, International (FMA) has announced the 2012 FMA/CNA Safety Award winners. Open to all FMA and Tube & Pipe International (TPA) company members, the program recognizes metal fabrication companies that have a commitment to excellence in safety. Award winners are determined by the FMA Safety Council and the awards are sponsored by CNA Insurance Group.
The 2012 Safety Award of Honor is presented to companies having perfect safety records — no recordable injuries or illnesses for calendar year 2011. One of this year's honor winners, Main Steel Polishing Co., ofTinton Falls,N.J., has won for eight consecutive years.
Companies receiving the 2012 Safety Award of Honor are:
- ADM — Mechanical, Decatur, Ill.
- Big J Enterprises, Albuquerque, N.M.
- JMC Steel Group — (Two facilities: Blytheville, Ark. and Sharon, Penn.)
- Main Steel Polishing Co., Inc. — (Three facilities: Tinton Falls, N.J., Commerce,
- Calif., and Schiller Park, Ill.)
- Nisshin Automotive Tubing LLC, Versailles, Ky.
- Nova Group, Inc., Napa, Calif.
- Olympic Steel — (Three facilities: Bedford Heights, Ohio, Mt. Sterling, Ky., and Dover, Ohio)
- Welfab, Inc., North Billerica, Maine
- Material Fabricators, Inc., Buellton, Calif.
The 2012 Safety Award of Merit is presented to companies posting an injury and illness incidence rate for calendar year 2011 that is better than the published Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) rate by 10 percent or greater, based on their North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code. Of the merit winners, Anderson & Dahlen, Inc. and AK Tube, Columbus, Ind. have won a safety award for six consecutive years and AK Tube Walbridge, Ohio has won a safety award for four consecutive years.
Companies receiving the 2012 Safety Award of Merit are:
- AK Tube LLC, Columbus, Ind.
- AK Tube LLC, Walbridge, Ohio
- Anderson & Dahlen, Inc., Ramsey, Minn.
- JMC Steel Group — (Four facilities: Chicago - Structural, Chicago - Pipe, Harrow, Ontario and Plymouth, Mich.)
- BTD Manufacturing, Detroit Lakes, Minn.
- Genzink Steel, Holland, Mich.
- GH Metal Solutions, Fort Payne, Ala.
- J. L. Clark, Rockford, Ill.
- McAlpin Industries, Rochester, N.Y.
- Olympic Steel (Three facilities: Bedford Heights, Ohio, Milford, Conn., and Schaumburg, Ill.)
- Tampa Tank, Inc. – Florida Structural Steel, Tampa, Fla.
The 2012 Most Improved Safety Record was awarded to JMC Steel Group, Plymouth, Mich., for being the Safety Awards winner with the greatest percentage of improvement over the prior year. "We congratulate all of our 2012 FMA/CNA Safety Award Winners," said Edward Youdell, president and CEO of FMA. "The winning companies all share a common trait, they value their most important asset — people. Creating and maintaining a culture of productivity through safe work practices is hard work. FMA is proud to recognize these manufacturers for their commitment to safety. "
To be eligible to receive recognition, companies were required to submit OSHA Form 300A, Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses, for the period Jan. 1, 2011 through Dec. 31, 2011. Firms of all sizes were eligible. Winners were determined based on NAICS code categories and BLS injury and illness incidence rates.
The awards will be presented at a recognition dinner at the Annual FMA Safety Conference, which will be held April 25-26 in at the Best Western Milwaukee Airport Hotel in Milwaukee, Wis. For more information on the awards program, the Safety Conference, or FMA membership, please visit fmanet.org or call 815-399-8700.